Let’s be candid, nutrition is one of the more difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members undergo, but it’s also the most rewarding. Nutrition in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and trends are always emerging.
Diets don’t lead to long-term success. Why? Because most diets focus on restricting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also unwise. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the right way to work properly. Starving your body of vital nutrients is detrimental to both your physical and mental health. In addition, research found that only 1% of people who diet by themselves actually get rid of their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important piece of our program. Since our original 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same formula when it comes to nutrition—keeping it easy! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food consumption.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” put into our food have substantially changed over the years. We educate our members on making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to be successful.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program stand out?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important part of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to splurge every once in a while, it’s become normal in our society making obesity an epidemic. Our members are taught that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that way. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep track of calories! We don’t concentrate on calories because numerous foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a better fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more important than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific method to set your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This specifies how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, enabling your body to stay in “burn mode” as opposed to “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to eat good fat as it supplies our bodies with needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get from any other source.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food goes into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is eaten, our bodies go into “store mode” turning extra sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members consume smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to fill up the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program realistic. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are encouraged to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you go at your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly made up of water, so drinking the right amount of water is essential to our overall health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps alleviate muscle aches. Our members strive to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help give you the feeling of being full faster, allowing you to keep portions in control.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, specific meals that tally points, recording calories or cutting every favorite food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the expense of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and discover how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and gain confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to join! You won’t believe how much you can transform in as little as 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread daily with the Farrell's program too!